Why Do I Need a Dental Crown?
At Tracey Dental, we are committed to maintaining long-term healthy smiles. We are proud to offer dental crowns to help protect and preserve damaged teeth, with incredibly natural-looking and feeling results. Here’s all you need to know about dental crowns and why you would require one.
What Is a Dental Crown?
Your tooth comes in two parts; the crown and the root. The crown is the portion of the tooth you can see above the gum line, while the root is the part covered by the gums and anchored to the bone. A dental crown, commonly referred to as a cap, is a custom-created, tooth-shaped restoration that covers the visible portion of a damaged tooth to restore its shape, strength, size, or appearance. At Tracey Dental, we are proud to offer incredibly durable dental crowns that look and feel just like your natural teeth.
Why Would You Require a Dental Crown?
Here are the most common reasons Dr. Long would recommend a dental crown:
- To strengthen and preserve a tooth after root canal therapy and restore its strength, function, and appearance.
- To hold together the parts of a cracked tooth and to protect a weak tooth from breakage.
- To repair a broken or chipped tooth and prevent any infection from setting in.
- To restore a tooth with a large filling and not much tooth structure remaining.
- To repair a tooth worn down due to habitual grinding and clenching, a condition known as bruxism.
- To protect and preserve a tooth with one or more broken cusps.
- To replace one or more missing teeth by covering a dental implant or supporting a denture or dental bridge.
- To improve a smile’s aesthetics by correcting imperfections in a tooth’s size, shape, or color.
What Is the Dental Crown Placement Procedure?
Placing a dental crown typically requires two visits to our office. We will start by numbing the area for your comfort and will prepare the affected tooth by removing a fine layer of enamel to accommodate your new dental crown. Next, we will take an impression of the area which our dental laboratory will use to fabricate your restoration. We will carefully color and texture-match your new crown to your surrounding teeth for a seamless smile. Before leaving our office, we will place a temporary crown to protect your prepared tooth.
When your dental crown is ready, you’ll return to our office for a crown placement appointment. We will check your restoration for a perfect fit then cement it in place. If needed, we will make adjustments for optimal comfort and function. Your new dental crown will leave you looking, feeling, and smiling your best!
Caring for Teeth with Dental Crowns
Caring for a tooth with a dental crown is no different from caring for a natural tooth. Both require meticulous oral hygiene practices. We encourage our valued patients to brush and floss regularly to help keep dental disease at bay. Don’t forget to visit Tracey Dental for your routine, twice-a-year dental exams and cleanings. Dr. Long and his team will monitor your oral health and ensure your restorations remain in tip-top shape.
Quality Dental Crowns in McKinney, TX
Visit Tracey Dental to learn more about our quality restorative dentistry services, including dental crowns. Dr. Long and his exceptional team are all about ensuring our valued patients enjoy healthy teeth and confident smiles. Call us and schedule your appointment today!